Subject: RE: Telnet/ssh TERM question
From: Mark Bradshaw <[email-masked]>
To: "'Jean Jordaan'" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 16:25:02 -0400

Have him try taking the cygwin entry from the cygwin supplied /etc/termcap
file and putting it on his Solaris machine.  See if that gets him what he
wants...

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean Jordaan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2001 8:56 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Telnet/ssh TERM question

Hi all

In response to a query about good Windows telnet clients, I recently 
recommended Cygwin:

"Jean Jordaan" <[email-masked]> writes:
> But personally I use Cygwin, which includes the normal Un*x telnet and
> ssh clients, with normal bash and readline, and all the other good
> things a proper commandline environment brings with it. And it is GPL.
> http://www.cygwin.com/

That triggered the following query from Kragen Sitaker 
<[email-masked]>:

"What TERM setting do you use on the machines you ssh to?  'cygwin' is
not yet widely recognized, 'vt100' and 'ibmpc' work terribly on
Solaris, and 'ansi' doesn't seem to have standout, so less complains
at me.  Is there a better widely-distributed termcap/terminfo entry
for cygwin?  Alternatively, is there a better terminal emulator I
could use for cygwin?"

So far, I've been more or less happy with 'ansi', and I don't have 
experience with Solaris, so I can't assist Kragen. Do any of you have
any advice for him?

Thanks for taking the trouble to read this,
Jean Jordaan

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple