Subject: Additional setup possibilities
From: "Ralf Habacker" <[email-masked]>
To: "DJDelorie" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Cygwin" <[email-masked]>, "Cygwin-Xfree" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 09:16:11 +0200

Hi,

I have a question about integration of Xfree distribution and other
graphical applications into the cygwin installer.

The xfree distribution contains several packages like basics, fonts and many
applications. Additional the kde package 1.1.2 for example contains
libs/basics, games, utils and many applications too. Putting all this thing
in one package result in a 27 MB archive for kde 1.1.2. I think, that isn't
good.

example xfree list (it has to be combined a little bitI):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.0.3.tar.bz2
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.0.3.tar.bz2
XFree86-CID-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-ISO8859-2-100dpi-fonts-4.0.3.tar.bz2
XFree86-ISO8859-2-75dpi-fonts-4.0.3.tar.bz2
XFree86-ISO8859-7-1-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-ISO8859-7-100dpi-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-ISO8859-7-75dpi-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-ISO8859-9-100dpi-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-ISO8859-9-75dpi-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-ISO8859-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-KOI8-R-100dpi-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-KOI8-R-75dpi-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-KOI8-R-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-PEX-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-Speedo-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-Type1-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-cyrillic-fonts-4.0.3.tar.bz2
XFree86-encodings-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-japanese-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-local-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-misc-fonts.tar.bz2
XFree86-util-fonts.tar.bz2
etc-x11-vtwm.tar.bz2
xfree86-vtwm-5.4.5a.tar.bz2
xfree86-4.0.3-DLLs.tar.bz2
xfree86-4.0.3-XClients.tar.bz2
xfree86-4.0.3-XWin.tar.bz2
xfree86-4.0.3-Xmh.tar.bz2
xfree86-4.0.3-Xnest.tar.bz2
xfree86-4.0.3-Xprt.tar.bz2
xfree86-4.0.3-Xterm.tar.bz2
xfree86-4.0.3-Xvfb.tar.bz2
xfree86-4.0.3-devel.tar.bz2
xfree86-4.0.3-twm.tar.bz2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---

To integrate this into cygwin installer I see four ways:

1. Add all this packages to setup.ini, but this would result in a very long
list of installable packages, which will not be very practible.

2. Another way it to implement categories. One for Cygwin base, one for
Xfree, one for kde, one for gnome ...... For this an additional config file
for categorie divided mirrors might be necessary.

3. The third way could be in using serveral installer for each categrory.
For distribution xfree and other on top this may be a quick an dirty
soution, but for the future this seems very bad to me too.

4. A fourth way could be using the rpm manager (available for cygwin) as
basic packaging tool and Cygwin installer as windows frontend like yast do
for suse linux. The advantage I see is that kpackage or other packager could
although be used. Scripting in the package will be available for post
install tasks an so on. (I have already used rpm to install source
packages).

Any comments are welcome.

Ralf Habacker
EMail: [email-masked]
       [email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple