Subject: Re: System freezing momentarily during make
From: Dario Alcocer <[email-masked]>
To: Tim Mensch <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 16:35:14 -0700

>>>>> "Tim" == Tim Mensch <[email-masked]> writes:

    Tim> The problem is this: I'm using Cygwin to run a GCC cross
    Tim> compiler, and at certain points during the make, the system
    Tim> will freeze for from between 1 and 4 seconds.  This happens
    Tim> on my system as well as two friends who are doing similar
    Tim> development.

I used to have this problem and other instability issues with Windows
9x and Cygwin.  Once I moved to Windows NT 4.0, it worked better, and
once I patched it with Service Pack 6, it's been very solid.  I'd say
you need to ditch Win 9x to get rid of these problems.

    Tim> I'm running Cygwin 1.3.1 with gcc version 2.9-arm-000512 and
    Tim> make version 3.79.1.  My Windows version is 98SE.  I'm
    Tim> guessing that upgrading to Windows 2000 would fix this, but
    Tim> is that the only way?

I've not run on Win2k myself, but I'd imagine moving away from any of
the Win 9x versions (95, 98, 98SE, and ME) will improve your situation
greatly.

-- 
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
[email-masked] -- http://www.helixdigital.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple