Subject: SIGTERM does not stop backend postgres processes immediately
From: Fred Yankowski <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 14:24:27 -0500

It seems that postgres backend processes built with Cygwin do not
react to the SIGTERM signal immediately.  Instead, they remain blocked
on a recv() call deep under ReadCommand() and don't notice the signal
until data comes in over the socket connection and unblocks recv().
This prevents a 'fast' stop of the whole PostgreSQL instance from
working correctly.

I'm seeing this problem in Cygwin 1.3.1 with cygipc-1.09-2, using
PostgreSQL built from source based on a very recent CVS snapshot.

This problem sounds similar to one reported in the pgsql-ports list
earlier this year [1].  That thread concludes that it's a Cygwin
problem, but with no solution yet.  Has there been any progress since
then?

[1] http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/mhonarc/pgsql-ports/2001-01/msg00023.html

-- 
Fred Yankowski           [email-masked]      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370
OntoSys, Inc             38W242 Deerpath Rd, Batavia, IL 60510, USA

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple