Subject: Re: Command line parsing in Cygwin 1.3.1
From: Andreas Ames <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin Users <[email-masked]>
Cc: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 May 2001 15:00:26 +0200

Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andreas Ames wrote:
> > 
> > Hi,
> > 
> > Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]> writes:
> > 
> > >
> > > They will never have a clue.
> > >
> > 
> > This is wrong; emacs wouldn't be what it is, if you were right.
> > 
> 
> You've taken a sentence I've written out of context from the rest of the
> post and call me incorrect!?!?  Non-cygwin programs will never have a
> clue about Cygwinisms such as the mount table.  It is possible to supply
> workarounds in some situations but my statement is still true.
> 
> Earnie.

Hi,

while this thread is getting funny, it seems to be offtopic; i didn't
subscribe to discuss if i may dare to call you incorrect or not.  as
you kept the reply-to, here we go.

1) I didn't answer to what you wanted to say but to what you said.
   sorry, if you expected something else.

2) I would never call sentences like: "Non-cygwin programs are
   non-cygwin programs." incorrect, although i would think by myself
   that such sentences somehow lack of informational content (like
   all tautologies).

3) Although i can assure you that i read you're complete posting, i
   only cited one sentence that seemed to be representative for what i
   wanted to refer to.  I believe this is a good and oftenly used
   practice on mailing lists, newsgroups etc.  It has normally nothing
   to do with "taking something out of context".

4) The original question was (in my own words): "Is there something i
   can do to get (x/nt)emacs becoming savvy of cygwin mount
   structure?"
   You're answer was essentially (again in my own words): "No" and
   not, for example, "Not that i know of."
   I know of something that can be done to make emacs understand what
   was asked for.
   Conclusio: ???

5) You may think that my postings on this topic are a little rude.  I
   must admit you're right.  This is not the usual way for me to
   interact with other human beings.  But after reading the list since
   some weeks i learned that this rude kind of posting is exactly what
   is common here, esp. when it comes to answers from some high
   frequency posters.  When i am in a new place i like to adapt myself
   to this environment in the beginning.  I hope you like my way of being
   polite :-B.

cheers
andreas

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple