Subject: Command line parsing in Cygwin 1.3.1
From: "Lawrence Piano" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Lawrence J Piano \(E-mail\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:44:31 +0100

I doubt this is specific to 1.3.1, but that's what I have installed.  My
question is about some strange behavior I'm getting when running Windows
apps from a shell command line.  If I do any cygwin command, it finds the
correct root (/) directory, like: ls /, gives a listing of my root dir,
c:/cygwin.

However, if I use a Win2k program like NTEmacs or Word, and type emacs
/testfile or (my alias) word /testfile, they look for or create a file on
the root dir of whatever disk, c:, d:, I'm on.  If I type: cd / and then do
emacs or word, I get the same behavior.

That is - cygwin progs interpret / correctly and Windows progs don't.

I thought my mounts might be the problem, but I've checked and they're the
same as in the documentation:

	c:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
	c:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
	c:\cygwin on / type user (binmode)

I've tried changing them to textmode but with no effect.  The same thing
happens whether I use tcsh or bash.

Is there some shell option I need to set or is it a known - or unknown -
bug?  Or will windows programs never have a clue about cygnus paths?

I could live with it if emacs only worked right ...

Thanks,

Larry

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple