Subject: Re: Python 2.1 can't find _tkinter.dll. Is there a solution?
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Dennis Wilson <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:07:31 -0400

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 11:06:39AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
>Dennis,
>
>On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 07:08:23PM -0700, Dennis Wilson wrote:
>> I would be mildly curious about why the pre-built release is there.
>
>Umm...because I contributed it as a courtesy to the Cygwin community.
>Note that you don't have to use it, if it does not meet your needs.
>As an example, I use my own build of vim instead of the one in latest.
>
>The approach that I have taken is to submit patches to Python CVS and the
>other projects to which I contribute instead of attempting to maintain
>a set of patches to (re)apply whenever the package is released.
>
>If you would like Cygwin's (contrib) Python to support tkinter, please
>submit the approach patches to the Python Patch Manager on SourceForge so
>that tkinter is supported OOTB.  Let me know when you patches are accepted
>and I will try to apply them against 2.1.  If successful, I will re-release
>a modified 2.1 with tkinter support.  Otherwise, I will release a build
>of the current Python CVS.
>
>Note that Norman may have already submitted tkinter related patches to
>SourceForge so you may want to collaborate with him to get the latest
>status.
>
>The bottom line is that I am willing to maintain a set of patches
>temporarily but not permanently.  I feel that this a reasonable policy
>-- hopefully, you agree too.

It is a very reasonable policy.

I appreciate your contribution of python to the cygwin distribution.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple