Subject: Re: Cygwin Python 2.1, Numeric package, exporting init<module> methods
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Mark Hadfield <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin Mailing List <[email-masked]>, Robert Yodlowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:36:16 -0400

Mark,

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 10:44:49AM +1200, Mark Hadfield wrote:
> As I said above, would like to have Numeric Python working on Cygwin Python
> OOTB. I'm not sure that it's reasonable to ask the maintainers to add the
> DL_EXPORT macro to all module init functions, so I guess the .def files are
> the way to go.

IMO, submitting a patch to the Numpy maintainers using the DL_EXPORT
macro approach is the way to go.  This is the approach that I used
successfully for numerous standard Python modules.  See the following
for Tim Peters assessment of this approach:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-February/013292.html

I have also successfully used this with the Python LDAP module:

    http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/1568/2001/3/0/5307464/

Why don't you try the Numpy maintainers and see what they have to say?
Since they already support a Win32 port, I can't imagine much resistance
on their part.

Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple