Subject: Re: Any resolution to win32.h problem?
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: Jim Hall <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:22:29 -0400

At 04:13 PM 4/27/2001, Jim Hall wrote:

> > Seems to me the solution proposed was the #ifdef mentioned below.  Did you
> > try that?  Its not at all clear to me that win32.h and windows.h from the
> > w32api package are supposed to be the same thing (as your symlink suggestion
> > implies).  I'm definitely left with the impression that these are two
> > completely different files so I don't see that the symlink would be a
> > reasonable solution in that case.
>
> > What FAQ entry suggests that Cygwin includes win32.h?
>
>I quote the following - but I don't get it:
>
>Why can't we redistribute Microsoft's Win32 headers?
>Subsection 2.d.f of the `Microsoft Open Tools License agreement' looks
>like it says that one may not "permit further redistribution of the
>Redistributables to their end users". We take this to mean that we can
>give them to you, but you can't give them to anyone else, which is
>something that Cygnus (err... Red Hat) can't agree to. Fortunately, we
>have our own Win32 headers which are pretty complete.
>
>this may have nothing to do with what my problem is.

No, it doesn't.  This is talking about Win32 headers in general, not win32.h
specifically.  There is no MS header file called win32.h that I've ever seen.
So your problem has nothing to do with the existence (or even lack thereof)
of any MS header file.  BTW, Cygwin has versions of its own of all the needed
files in the w32api package.  If you need them, you should install this 
package.  Moreover, if you don't know which packages you need or which 
packages interact with others, you need to consult the mail archives to 
get an idea or install them all.  This list recommends the latter.

>So in the original mail:
>
> >That's "win32.h", not <win32.h>.  There's a file in
> ><perl-src>/win32/win32.h, which is probably copied up to the toplevel
> >during a win32-native configure. (I'm just guessing here)
>
>
>I did not download the source for perl is this what is holding me up? If I
>download it, what would be the top level dir? /usr/include/ or <perl-src>?

I know nothing about building Perl modules but for me, it stands to reason
that you need a Perl development environment to do so.  This would be the
Perl source.  I'm sure others on this list that are more Perl savy can 
confirm or deny this but in the interim, you might want to try it out.  It
will probably save you some time.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple