Subject: Re: Request to package maintainers
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:27:36 -0500

>This is a _very_ bad idea. config.cache is not portable across machines
>unless they are _identical_ in layout. And if you are building from
>source you may well have a different location for various items.

Fair enough.  I would settle for just a brief note in a README file.  Anything
that would communicate how the standard binaries were built.

>A second thing to consider: if you are building from source it implies
>that you don't want the packagers options...

I suspect that a lot of people rebuild just to add or remove a config 
option.  One person may want to try the new POSIX thread support, while 
another wants to enable a different caching algorithm in Squid.  

In my own case I just want to tweak the compiler optimizations.  Just 
adding "-march=i686 -s" to the existing compiler flags is all I want.  But 
that raises a question: what was the original configuration?

Thanks for the response.

[email-masked] on 04/25/2001 05:07:30 PM
To:	[email-masked]@SMTP
Steve Snyder/SVL/SC/PHILIPS@AMEC
cc:	 
Subject:	Re: Request to package maintainers
Classification:	

>----- Original Message -----
>From: <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 9:42 AM
>Subject: Request to package maintainers
>

>Hello.
>
>I would like to make a request of Cygwin's package maintainers: please
leave the generated config.cache file in the source package.
>
>I suggest this to aid in rebuilding from source packages.  As it is,
those who want to rebuild there own binaries have no idea what config
>options were used in the standard cygwin build.  The user who wants to
rebuild the source with config option A may
>be losing the options X, Y and Z used in the original cygwin build.
>
>Thank you.
>

This is a _very_ bad idea. config.cache is not portable across machines
unless they are _identical_ in layout. And if you are building from
source you may well have a different location for various items.

config.status is less of an issue - but where would you put it ? (The
source dir is not the build dir for packagers ).

If all you want is the configure switches used, then I suggest just
asking for that. :]

A second thing to consider: if you are building from source it implies
that you don't want the packagers options...

Rob

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple