Subject: Re: Initial patch to implement partial auth with SSH2
From: "Karl M" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 01:29:42 -0700

Hi All...

I've been experimenting with the partial authorization patch for 
OpenSSH-2.5.2. I'm using CygWin on a Windows 2000 (SP1) box.

I noticed a bug in the patch that shows up for CygWin users. The problem is 
that publickey authentication only works if sshd is running with the same 
user-id as the ssh client. When I run sshd as a service with a user-id of 
LocalSystem publickey authentication fails.

This is because the check_nt_auth call in userauth-pubkey fails if the ssh 
user-id is different from the sshd user-id.

It looks to me like userauth_pubkey needs to "suspend disbelief" (and not 
call check_nt_auth and auth_password) for partial authentication, in the 
hope that a password may come later. Then somewhere check_nt_auth 
auth_password need to be called to make sure that we don't forget to set the 
sshd user-id to the ssh user-id.

Thanks,

...Karl
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple