Subject: Re: some more questions :cygwin setup failed
From: "Dennis Wilson" <[email-masked]>
To: "rahul toley" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 20:36:30 -0700

Rahul,

I was wondering if you can start the cygwin bash shell from an MSDOS window.
I had some trouble with the icon shortcuts when I first started using
cygwin.

What I am suggesting is trying this:
Open a dos window
cd <your cygwin directory>
cd bin
bash

If this starts then you probably have a good cygwin installation.

----- Original Message -----
From: rahul toley
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2001 11:00 AM
Subject: some more questions :cygwin setup failed

Hi Gerrit, Thanks for your help and explanation. I used setup.exe to install
cygwin . Still the shell gets killed . If I try to open the cygwin.dat(under
C:\cygwin directory) file , it opens as a shell with title "Finished -
cygwin" the prompt itself shows "bad command or filename" . If I try to do
anything to this shell , the system prompts me to close it . Basically after
installation , I see an icon and if I click on it , the shell opens and gets
killed immediately . I need cygwin to install verilog-icarus,perl and gcc. I
would appreciate your diagnostics as I couldnt get any more info from the
user guide regarding installation and the first steps after installation. I
expected cygwin a unix like shell from where I can execute all unix
development tools eventually. thanks, Rahul. --- "Gerrit P. Haase" wrote: >
rahul toley schrieb am 2001-04-14, 0:15: > > > Target Platform : Windows ME
(problem ?) > > I don't know. > > > Executable version
:cygwin-1.1.8-1.tar.gz after > > untarring and gziping (i use powerarchivers
> extracter) > Never use such extracters!!! > Use setup.exe from cygwin. >
Didn't you use setup.exe? > http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe > Load it down
and do the install with this tiny tool. > > After installing cygwin correct,
you may use tar and > gzip and bzip2 > that comes with cygwin, but never use
winzip or > some other dumb tool. > They don't extract everything!!! > > >
Side Questions: which is the main executable. i > > tried running
cygpath.exe cygcheck.exe > > x:\cygwin\cygwin.bat > > > Symptoms : Two files
that look perfectly normal to > me > > setup and setup.log > [...] > Seems
there are some parts missing. > > Load down with setup.exe. > It is
difficult to say, what is minimum to install. > > I would suggest, you will
need nearly all from > latest and everything > from contrib, well, for the
beginning, you won't > need squid, postgresql, > maybe cvs is not important
to you, ghostscript is > not that essential > for cygwin to run, mt is for
tapes... if you got no > tape..., mutt is > the email-client which will not
be used for cygwin > to run and also isn't > ssmtp (mailer for mutt),
tetex-beta takes a huge > mount of space and isn't > needed to run cygwin.
But all the other packages are > important (more or > less). Well, if you
don't plan to develop, there are > some other packs, > which will not be
needed, like gcc, but then i > wonder, why you want to > use cygwin... > > I
always do 'download from internet' at first, then > run setup again and >
install from local directory. > If setup is ready with installing, it makes
a > shortcut to your desktop, > if you like, which points to
x:\cygwin\cygwin.bat > This .bat file is the startup for cygwin. > You need
to call it. > For some reason, you will need to modify it. I added > this
line: > set CYGWIN=binmode tty ntsec title > CYGWIN must be set before the
start of bash. > Read the cygwin-ug (User Guide) and the FAQ: >
http://www.cygwin.com > for more informations. > > whole cygwin.bat: >
================= > @echo off > H: > chdir \bin > set CYGWIN=binmode tty
ntsec title > bash --login -i > > After calling this .bat, you should be
able to call > every binary > from the shell, just like on unixes, like: > $
cygcheck -s -v -r > $ mount > $ help > $ set > $ date > and so on > > Ciao,
> > Gerrit > > -- > =^..^= [email-masked] > PGP-Key: 0x28A05137
[875C 745E 01CF 8A34 2767 BE39 > 305E 5261 28A0 5137]

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Personal Address - Get email at your own domain with Yahoo!
Mail.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple