Subject: Re: cvs broken on win2k after recent cygwin upgrade: "The descriptor is a file, not a socket"
From: [email-masked] (Henry S. Thompson)
To: "Trevor Forbes" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Apr 2001 23:42:19 +0100

"Trevor Forbes" <[email-masked]> writes:

> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Henry S. Thompson" <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > But I now can debug again, since I have a with-symbols up-to-date
> > cygwin1.dll -- will be happy to try anything Corinna or anyone else
> > can suggest to try to track this down.
> > 
> 
> No promises but can you provide the following back to the mail list:
> 
> ls -al /           -- (root dir)
> cd to the dir you normally do a cvs co ... before doing a cygcheck
> cygcheck -s -v
> ls -al  ./         -- (current dir)

calvin<532> cd /
calvin<533> ls -al
total 46
drwxr-xr-x  11 ht       Administ        0 Aug 23  2000 .
drwxr-xr-x  11 ht       Administ        0 Aug 23  2000 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ        0 Apr 12 14:42 .bash_history
drwxr-xr-x   2 ht       Administ        0 Nov 20 08:50 .ssh
drwxr-xr-x   6 ht       Administ        0 Oct 23 03:39 bin
lrw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ       14 Dec 18 14:31 contrib -> usr
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ       69 Sep  6  2000 cygwin.bat
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ      766 Apr 11 20:45 cygwin.ico
drwxr-xr-x   5 ht       Administ        0 Aug 23  2000 etc
drwxr-xr-x   6 ht       Administ        0 Aug 24  2000 home
drwxr-xr-x  10 ht       Administ        0 Oct 23 03:39 lib
drwxr-xr-x   2 ht       Administ        0 Apr  3 14:31 sbin
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    25286 Apr 11 20:45 setup.log
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    17742 Apr 11 20:45 setup.log.full
drwxr-xr-x   7 ht       Administ        0 Aug 23  2000 tmp
drwxr-xr-x  19 ht       Administ        0 Oct 23 03:39 usr
drwxr-xr-x   7 ht       Administ        0 Aug 23  2000 var
calvin<534>
calvin<535> cd /usr/local/src/cygwin
calvin<536> cygcheck -s -v

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Fri Apr 13 23:38:38 2001

WinNT Ver 5.0 build 2195 Service Pack 1

Path:   /usr/local/bin
        /usr/bin
        /bin
        /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32
        /cygdrive/c/WINNT
        /cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem
        /usr/bin
        /usr/local/bin
        /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32
        /cygdrive/c/WINNT
        /cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem
        /usr/bin
        /usr/local/bin
        /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio/Common/Tools/WinNT
        /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio/Common/MSDev98/Bin
        /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/Common/Tools
        /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/VC98/bin
        /home/ht/bin
        /home/ht/bin

SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: C:\WINNT

PWD = `/usr/local/src/cygwin'
CYGWIN = `tty'
USER = `ht'
MAKE_MODE = `unix'
HOME = `/home/ht'

NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = `1'
PROMPT = `$P$G'
LOGONSERVER = `\\CALVIN'
OS2LIBPATH = `C:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;'
COMSPEC = `C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe'
MXBIN = `C:\Program Files\FireDaemon v0.09c'
!C: = `C:\cygwin\bin'
SYSTEMDRIVE = `C:'
HOSTNAME = `CALVIN'
INCLUDE = `C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\atl\include;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\mfc\include;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visua
 Studio\VC98\include'
PROCESSOR_REVISION = `0803'
!D: = `D:\'
MSDEVDIR = `C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98'
PATHEXT = `.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH'
COMPUTERNAME = `CALVIN'
WINDIR = `C:\WINNT'
USERPROFILE = `C:\Documents and Settings\ht'
PS1 = `\[\]calvin<\!> \[\]'
PROGRAMFILES = `C:\Program Files'
HISTCONTROL = `ignoredups'
MACHTYPE = `i686-pc-cygwin'
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = `x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel'
OS = `Windows_NT'
CVS_RSH = `/usr/bin/ssh'
OLDPWD = `/'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = `x86'
TEMP = `/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/ht/LOCALS~1/Temp'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL = `6'
SYSTEMROOT = `C:\WINNT'
MXHOME = `C:\Program Files\FireDaemon v0.09c'
TMP = `/tmp'
HOMEDRIVE = `D:'
LIB = `C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\mfc\lib;C:\Program Files\M
crosoft Visual Studio\VC98\lib'
ALLUSERSPROFILE = `C:\Documents and Settings\All Users'
SHLVL = `1'
APPDATA = `C:\Documents and Settings\ht\Application Data'
COMMONPROGRAMFILES = `C:\Program Files\Common Files'
HOMEPATH = `\'
USERDOMAIN = `CALVIN'
USERNAME = `ht'
SHELL = `/usr/bin/bash'
HOSTTYPE = `i686'
OSTYPE = `cygwin'
TERM = `cygwin'
_ = `/usr/bin/cygcheck'
TZ = `GMTST0GMTDT-1,M3.5.0/1,M10.5.0/2'

Use `-r' to scan registry

c:  hd  FAT32   8181Mb  85% CP    UN           SYSTEM
d:  hd  FAT32   3303Mb  11% CP    UN           HENRY
cygcheck: dump_sysinfo: GetVolumeInformation() failed: 53
f:  net          N/A    N/A
s:  fd           N/A    N/A

C:\cygwin\bin  /usr/bin  system  binmode
C:\cygwin\lib  /usr/lib  system  binmode
C:\cygwin  /        system  binmode
d:\hisarm  /home/hisarm  system  textmode
d:    /home/ht  system  textmode

Found: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\cat.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\cpp.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\find.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\gcc.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\gdb.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\ld.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\make.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe

 3857k 2001/01/24 C:\WINNT\System32\cygwin1.1.7dbg.dll - os=4.0
img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/24 10:24
  615k 2001/01/31 C:\WINNT\System32\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/31 15:08
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        dll major: 1001
        dll minor: 8
        dll epoch: 19
        dll bad signal mask: 19005
        dll old termios: 5
        dll malloc env: 28
        api major: 0
        api minor: 34
        shared data: 3
        dll identifier: cygwin1
        mount registry: 2
        cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        program options name: Program Options
        cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        cygdrive default prefix:
        build date: Wed Jan 31 10:08:38 EST 2001
        shared id: cygwin1S3

   14k 2000/10/23 C:\cygwin\bin\cygintl.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygintl.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/23 20:02
  390k 2001/01/18 C:\cygwin\bin\cygtcl80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtcl80.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/18 4:44
   56k 2000/12/03 C:\cygwin\bin\cygbz21.0.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygbz21.0.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/20 23:53
   81k 2000/12/05 C:\cygwin\bin\cygitcl30.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygitcl30.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/26 1:43
   35k 2000/12/05 C:\cygwin\bin\cygitk30.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygitk30.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/26 1:43
    5k 2001/01/18 C:\cygwin\bin\cygtclpip80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
  623k 2000/12/05 C:\cygwin\bin\cygtk80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtk80.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/26 1:43
   10k 2001/01/18 C:\cygwin\bin\cygtclreg80.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygtclreg80.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/18 4:44
   18k 2000/10/23 C:\cygwin\bin\cyggdbm.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cyggdbm.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/23 3:26
   45k 2000/10/22 C:\cygwin\bin\cygjbig1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygjbig1.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/23 0:06
  119k 2000/10/22 C:\cygwin\bin\cygjpeg6b.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygjpeg6b.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/23 1:58
  163k 2001/02/03 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpng2.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpng2.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/2/3 21:21
   82k 2001/01/21 C:\cygwin\bin\cygform5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygform5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/21 20:39
   53k 2001/01/21 C:\cygwin\bin\cygmenu5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygmenu5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/21 20:39
  414k 2001/01/21 C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses++5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses++5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/21 20:40
  299k 2001/01/21 C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygncurses5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/21 20:38
   34k 2001/01/21 C:\cygwin\bin\cygpanel5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygpanel5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/21 20:38
   17k 2001/01/07 C:\cygwin\bin\cyghistory4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cyghistory4.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/7 4:34
  108k 2001/01/07 C:\cygwin\bin\cygreadline4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygreadline4.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/7 4:34
  243k 2000/10/23 C:\cygwin\bin\cygtiff3.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygtiff3.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/10/23 2:14
   41k 2000/11/20 C:\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-noX4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygXpm-noX4.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/20 2:41
   45k 2000/11/20 C:\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-X4.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygXpm-X4.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/11/20 2:45
 3857k 2001/02/01 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.1.7dbg.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/24 10:24
  615k 2001/02/02 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.1.8.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/31 15:08
 3851k 2001/02/02 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.1.8dbg.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0
sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/2/2 13:14
   49k 2001/02/03 C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygz.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/2/3 20:35
  615k 2001/01/31 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/1/31 15:08
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        dll major: 1001
        dll minor: 8
        dll epoch: 19
        dll bad signal mask: 19005
        dll old termios: 5
        dll malloc env: 28
        api major: 0
        api minor: 34
        shared data: 3
        dll identifier: cygwin1
        mount registry: 2
        cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        program options name: Program Options
        cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        cygdrive default prefix:
        build date: Wed Jan 31 10:08:38 EST 2001
        shared id: cygwin1S3

Use -h to see help about each section
calvin<538> ls -al ./
total 1004
drwxr-xr-x  10 ht       Administ        0 Jan 24 08:23 .
drwxr-xr-x   8 ht       Administ        0 Aug 24  2000 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ      393 Apr 11 19:04 .cvsignore
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    18007 Jan 24 08:45 COPYING
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    25283 Jan 24 08:45 COPYING.LIB
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ     5320 Apr 11 19:04 COPYING.NEWLIB
drwxr-xr-x   2 ht       Administ        0 Jan 24 08:45 CVS
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ   251852 Apr 11 19:04 ChangeLog
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ     3364 Jan 24 08:45 MAINTAINERS
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    60233 Apr 11 19:04 Makefile.in
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ     1719 Jan 24 08:45 README
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ      730 Apr 11 19:04
README-maintainer-mode
drwxr-xr-x   3 ht       Administ        0 Jan 24 08:53 build
drwxr-xr-x   4 ht       Administ        0 Jan 24 08:45 config
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    23090 Jan 24 08:45 config-ml.in
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ    40540 Apr 11 19:04 config.guess
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ     2147 Jan 24 08:45 config.if
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ    28868 Apr 11 19:04 config.sub
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ    51986 Apr 11 19:04 configure
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ    50415 Apr 11 19:04 configure.in
drwxr-xr-x   3 ht       Administ        0 Jan 24 08:45 etc
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    11320 Jan 24 08:45 gettext.m4
drwxr-xr-x  10 ht       Administ        0 Jan 24 08:45 include
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ     5598 Jan 24 08:46 install-sh
drwxr-xr-x   5 ht       Administ        0 Jan 24 08:46 libiberty
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    30067 Apr 11 19:04 libtool.m4
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    31571 Apr 11 19:04 ltcf-c.sh
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    36395 Apr 11 19:04 ltcf-cxx.sh
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    27245 Apr 11 19:04 ltcf-gcj.sh
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ    86603 Apr 11 19:04 ltconfig
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ   156199 Apr 11 19:04 ltmain.sh
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ     1087 Jan 24 08:46 makefile.vms
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ     6283 Jan 24 08:46 missing
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ     2179 Jan 24 08:46 mkdep
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ      730 Jan 24 08:46 mkinstalldirs
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ      880 Jan 24 08:46 move-if-change
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    14898 Jan 24 08:46 mpw-README
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ     5169 Jan 24 08:46 mpw-build.in
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ     4742 Jan 24 08:46 mpw-config.in
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ    14664 Jan 24 08:46 mpw-configure
-rw-r--r--   1 ht       Administ     3171 Jan 24 08:46 mpw-install
drwxr-xr-x   6 ht       Administ        0 Jan 24 08:46 newlib
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ      220 Jan 24 08:50 setup.com
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ     1094 Jan 24 08:50 symlink-tree
drwxr-xr-x  10 ht       Administ        0 Jan 24 08:50 winsup
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ht       Administ     3268 Jan 24 08:52 ylwrap

ht
--
  Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh
          W3C Fellow 1999--2001, part-time member of W3C Team
     2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
	    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [email-masked]
		     URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple