Subject: Re: cvs broken on win2k after recent cygwin upgrade: "The descriptor is a file, not a socket"
From: [email-masked] (Henry S. Thompson)
To: "Matthew D. Langston" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Dmitrii Pasechnik <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: 12 Apr 2001 13:53:19 +0100

"Matthew D. Langston" <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is an update to a problem I have been having where I am unable to get
> cvs 1.11 with cygwin 1.1.8 to work with Win2K  SP1.  Specifically, cvs
> doesn't work when using pserver (i.e. for anonymous cvs checkouts), but it
> does work for SSH checkouts (i.e. by using the "ext" protocol and setting
> the environment variable CVS_RSH=ssh).
> 
> >From several posts within the last few weeks about this issue, it appears
> that a non-working pserver mode only affects a few users under Win2K SP1.
> Others who have "identical" installations claim that cvs + pserver works
> just fine for them.  Therefore, I wanted to report to the list that I have
> found a workaround for using cvs + pserver under Win2K  SP1 that at least
> works for me, which is using  WinCVS available at http://www.wincvs.org.
> So, if the cygwin cvs and pserver don't work for you, maybe WinCVS can help.

Right, I also recently found a native windows cvs, and it does _not_
have the 'descriptor is a file' problem.  So I used it to update my
source tree, rebuilt cygwin, and . . . it still _does_ have the
problem.

But I now can debug again, since I have a with-symbols up-to-date
cygwin1.dll -- will be happy to try anything Corinna or anyone else
can suggest to try to track this down.

ht
-- 
  Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh
          W3C Fellow 1999--2001, part-time member of W3C Team
     2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
	    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [email-masked]
		     URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple