Subject: Cross compiler for Linux?
From: "Kendall Bennett" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:01:02 -0800

Hi Guys,

We are in the process of attempting to use Cygwin as a cross compile 
development environment for Linux using a Windows 2000 machine for 
development. Our plan is to target initially Red Hat 7.0, but we 
would like to support all distributions with one binary. Hence our 
plan is to simply staticly link the runtime libraries we use into our 
programs instead of dynamically linking the code to avoid issues with 
libc5, glibc2 glibc2.1 etc etc. We would also like to be able to 
remote debug from the Windows 2000 machine to the Linux box using 
TCP/IP (probably with GVD or Insight; does Insight support this?)

So if anyone has any experience in this area or can point me to the 
appropriate FAQ's and documentation on doing this it would be 
appreciated. Also my plan initially is to start with the latest 
version of GCC/Binutils etc source code that already builds for 
Cygwin as the basis of the cross-compiler rather than using the Red 
Hat source code (definately not 2.96 from RH 7.0 ;-). Does that plan 
make sense, or should we start with a different version of the 
compiler? What about the binutils stuff, will the versions that are 
used for Cygwin work OK if we re-target and compile them for Linux?

Thanks!

+---------------------------------------------------------------+
|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: [email-masked]    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple