Subject: Problem with cygwin 1.1.8 under NT 4.0
From: "Markus Walther" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:25:39 +0200

Dear Mr. Faylor

a few days ago I downloaded Cygwin DLL 1.1.8 and I noticed a different
behaviour compared to Cygwin DLL 1.1.4 (the last version I was using). I
don't know if this is a bug or it is related with my restricted knowledge
about the Cygwin tools. Because of that I didn't want to post my question
to the mailinglist.

I checked the FAQ but couldn't find anything related with my problem. The
only thing I found which could be a hint for my problem was in the release
notes of version 1.1.5. There it says: fixes for current-working-directory
problem.

My problem occurs with Cygwin DLL 1.1.8-2 and make 3.79.1-3 under Windows
NT 4.0. There are two problems. When I have the following statement in the
makefile
CC = C:/localWIN/ARM251/arm/bin/armcc

the make process stops with the error message:
[c:\daten\source\project\software\test\foo]make
C:/localWIN/ARM251/bin/armcc -IC:\Daten\Source\project\software/source/include -c -
processor ARM7TDMI -g+ -gt -dwarf2 -O1   -o ut_foo.o ut_foo.c
4NT: Unknown command "C:"
make: *** [ut_foo.o] Error 2

There is no problem when I define the CC variable in the following way:
CC= armcc

The more serious problem occurs whenever I try to access a file from within
a makefile which is not specified with an absolut path. Instead of looking
in the current directory the command.com (or is it make?) is looking in a
completly different directory. It is looking in the directory in which the
command.com was started.

When I use Cygwin DLL 1.1.4  and make 3.79.1-1 my old makefile run without
problems i.e. there is no need to specify every source file with an
absolute path.

In both cases the only tools installed are the Cygwin DLL and the make.exe

Are there any explanations about the differnt behaviours? Did I forget to
configure anything?

Regards,
Markus Walther

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple