Subject: problems with make in cygwin related to time zone and recent changeover to DST
From: "Fred T. Hamster" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 19:19:59 -0500

i'm seeing some very strange warnings from 'make' about files having 
time stamps that are in the future.  the amount that they are ahead is 
just about exactly an hour.  this occurs even after i delete all the 
files made from the makefile and touch all the source files involved, so 
it seems to be a bug in the handling of the time zone.
  i have never seen this error before and have used cygwin for a long 
time, so perhaps it's a new bug?  or at least a bug that seems to be 
active now.
  i'm using the latest release of cygwin--cygwin.dll is version 1.1.8 
and i just grabbed all the package updates today.  also, i'm in the 
eastern time zone and windows is set to "automatically adjust clock for 
daylight savings time".
  i tried setting the TZ variable that unix likes, but cygwin hated it.  
the 'date' program started giving me the wrong time until i reset the 
variable.  TZ is used internally by microsoft's localtime functions, so 
if cygwin is relying on those functions _and_ processing the variable, 
then that might explain the problem with 'date'.  in any case, setting 
TZ did not alleviate the effects of this timezone related bug in make.
  thanks for any help you can provide, and let me know if i should enter 
this as a new bug someplace...
--fred

_____ chosen by the Nechung Oracle Program [ http://www.gruntose.com/ ] 
_____

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

_____________ not necessarily my opinions, not necessarily not. 
_____________

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple