Subject: "Lock count exceeded" in mutt
From: Walter Garcia-Fontes <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 18:48:17 +0200

Dear list,
I'm asking this question because despite the fact that it refers to
mutt, it has also to do with cygwin (file permissions on the file
structure, for programs picky with permissions such as all mail
programs...)

Whenever I'm opening mutt I get the message:
"Lock count exceeded, do you want to remove lock [y,n]?"

It seems obviously a problem with permissions. I have the
/var/spool/mail on an NTFS volume and use cygwin with "ntsec", so I
guess permissions work. I have the following:
drwxrwxr-x   5 administ Administ        0 Mar 20 18:37 var/
drwxrwxr-x   3 administ Administ           0 Mar 30 15:39 spool/
drwxrwxrwx   2 administ Administ        0 Apr  3 18:41 mail/
-rw-------   1 myuser  Administ    11043 Apr  3 18:42 myuser

where myuser is the account I'm using. I notice that if I change the
"mail" dir to
drwxrwxr-x   2 administ Administ        0 Apr  3 18:41 mail/
then the message goes away but the mailbox becomes read-only for
mutt (despite the fact that it can be changed with an editor, but
there is obviously no file-creation permission for "myuser" in the
mail dir).

Thanks for any hints,

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
Barcelona, Spain

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple