Subject: Re: cvs broken on win2k after recent cygwin upgrade: "The descriptor is a file, not a socket"
From: "Matthew D. Langston" <[email-masked]>
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Dmitrii Pasechnik <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 15:27:30 -0700

This is an update to a problem I have been having where I am unable to get
cvs 1.11 with cygwin 1.1.8 to work with Win2K  SP1.  Specifically, cvs
doesn't work when using pserver (i.e. for anonymous cvs checkouts), but it
does work for SSH checkouts (i.e. by using the "ext" protocol and setting
the environment variable CVS_RSH=ssh).

From several posts within the last few weeks about this issue, it appears
that a non-working pserver mode only affects a few users under Win2K SP1.
Others who have "identical" installations claim that cvs + pserver works
just fine for them.  Therefore, I wanted to report to the list that I have
found a workaround for using cvs + pserver under Win2K  SP1 that at least
works for me, which is using  WinCVS available at http://www.wincvs.org.
So, if the cygwin cvs and pserver don't work for you, maybe WinCVS can help.

Regards, Matt

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henry S. Thompson" <[email-masked]>
To: "Matthew D. Langston" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Dmitrii Pasechnik" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 3:47 AM
Subject: Re: cvs broken on win2k after recent cygwin upgrade: "The
descriptor is a file, not a socket"

> I was the person who raised this issue 6 weeks ago -- I built a
> debuggable kernel to try to track this down, but ran into deep
> socket/net code swamps that I'm not competent to navigate.  All I can
> say is "you are not alone":  cygwin 1.1.8, cvs 1.11, Win2K SP1
> (2.00.2195)
>
> ht
> --
>   Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of
Edinburgh
>           W3C Fellow 1999--2001, part-time member of W3C Team
>      2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
>     Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [email-masked]
>      URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/
>

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple