Subject: Re: port of omniorb
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: "bruno patin (travail)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: groupe cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 23:37:51 -0500

Bruno,

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 11:11:18AM +0200, bruno patin (travail) wrote:
> I did it before and it compile. But in the port of omniorb itself, the 
> omniidl command needs some Python software that it can't see. I wrote to 
> the omniorb mailing list and they ask me if cygwin could create .so 
> libraries. I didn't observe the gcc -shared command but I think you made 
> it identical with the other gcc on the other platforms.

Cygwin gcc supports -shared and can create shared libraries (i.e.,
DLLs).  Although, following Windows conventions they usually end it
".dll" instead ".so".

Can you point me toward the above mentioned response from the omniorb
list?  I would like to read it.

> They ask for knowing which platform to choose for the compilation as the
> cygwin one doesn't exist.  I took the glibc2.1 platform. Do you think it
> is right (I regard the gcc version for this choice).

Sorry, I don't know the answer the above.  I wish that I did, because...

I too briefly looked into building a Cygwin omniorb.  But, when I realized
that they did not support the CORBA 2.3 spec (i.e., POA) and that they
did *not* use autoconf, I elected not to spend the time to attempt the
port.

I found it ironic that they required Cygwin to build their Win32
version but they did not have a Cygwin version.  Searching their
archives, I found that someone asked how to build a Cygwin version in
the past.  Unfortunately, no one ever responded.

> My choices :
> 
> to return to the python compiling and introduce a correct support thread
> to use the native win32 omniorb implementation (is it possible and how)
> to use another orb that is already ported on cygwin (do you know one)

Check out MICO (www.mico.org), they have or had a Cygwin (b19) port.
Since, they do use autoconf, it may be as simple as:

    $ configure
    $ make
    $ make install

Then again, it may not...

> As it is essential to my work I'm ready to make this effort as I think 
> it is really interesting to have a Broker present and native for the 
> cygwin platform in order to further banalize the windows os inside unix 
> environment (as a matter of fact your work is really good).

I would like to see a Cygwin CORBA ORB too.  If you are willing to tackle
the omniorb side, then I'm willing to help you with the Cygwin Python side,
if necessary.

Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple