Subject: Re: Does gzip support multiple processors under windows 2000?
From: Andrew Markebo <[email-masked]>
To: Ilan Rabinovitch <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Mar 2001 23:58:58 +0100

/ Ilan Rabinovitch <[email-masked]> wrote:
| Im trying to compress 1 large file.  Im work with machines that have 4 procs
| and I figured if I could get gzip to take advantage of smp it might compress
| these files faster.
| 
| Ilan

Split the file into four parts and run them through 1 gzip each.. :-)

Hack a program that reads from 4 places in that file and pipes the
contents to four gzips.. 

Or do a program that can gzip from a certain position in a file to an
end.. 

*hmm* The possibilities are endless :-)

        /Andy

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple