Subject: Re: midnight commander
From: "Radek Kosciuk" <[email-masked]>
To: "Dr. Volker Zell" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:32:41 +0100

> With the patch below for
>
>  o mc-4.5.51 - http://www.gnome.org/ -
http://www.gnome.org/start/installing/

none of them working.  changing download links did not help much either. I
have found MC on tucows site  but the transfer rate was so slooooooooooow
that I had to given up :))

>
> it compiles OOTB.
> The strange thing is that entering archive files like .tar/.tar.gz/.zip
etc.
> is not working anymore in my environment. :-((
>

OOTB - it requires some explanation :)

> It used to work a long time ago (cygwin b20.1). Now pressing RETURN on an
archive
> file calls in my case always the editor (specified by EDITOR env var)
> and opens that file in the editor.

I'd say that it might be tar.gz.bzip.zip and so on files might be associated
with that editor and that's why it happens. I have to check, as soon as I
will be able to work with MC

>
> Anyway here the patch. Can you please comment back if entering archives
works for you.

I will, no problem :) but can you explain to me what I should do with that
.diff file? Sorry, but I am just a lame lawyer ... and how to compile the MC
files when I'll have them ungzipped and untared  .... thats stresses me
:) and I completely don't have any idea how to compile apps.

maybe what I want to ask will sound stupid but why there are no those fancy
installers used to install MC, Pine and other applications? I found Xemacs
for win and gimp have such easy-to-use installers and now I have to compile
files... if I only knew how and what does it exactly means ;) gnu world is
full of surprises, traps and fun .

regards

radek
---

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple