Subject: Re: Is GNU GCJ part of Cygwin GCC?
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:31:01 -0500

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 09:20:04AM +0800, Alex Bristor wrote:
>How much effort would be required to do the port?

Sorry, I have no idea.  I just asked for volunteers for this in
cygwin-apps this week.  Maybe someone else here has a better feel for
this.  I don't even know java.

>No I'm not offering to do the port, yet, I still have a day job I can't
>quit, (morgage to pay and all that), plus I've never tackled anything
>this big, (presuming it is a big effort).  But I'd really like to see a
>.java/.class to .exe/.dll compiler for Window$, (why does Linux have
>all the cool stuff (duh?!)).

As I understand it (and I'm sure someone will provide voluminous amount
of detail) IBM has something like this already.  It's not Cygwin-aware,
though, which seems to confuse people.

>For newbies to porting, do you offer any assistance? (I was brought up on
>BASIC in '82 and and about 36 hours of PASCAL lectures at university,
>followed by a crash course in FORTRAN, because that's what industry actually
>uses, and so am self taught in C, Java, and currently being horrified by
>C++, because there is no .java to .exe/.dll native compiler!)

People who send email here are assisted by the readers of the mailing list,
of which I am one.  If you're asking if I, or Red Hat, offer personal
assistance, then the answer is no.  That's why we set up this mailing list.

>Also is there any form of finacial sponsership?  Sorry for being so crass,
>but I work full-time, and then try and run my own business from home in the
>evenings and weekends, so don't have much time.

Are you asking if Red Hat would pay to have you port something that you
would like to have for your own use?  I'm sorry, but no.  Red Hat is not
a philanthropic organization, it is a business.  If Red Hat saw a
business need to port libgcj to Cygwin/Windows then we'd undoubtedly
have one of our java engineers do this.

Then, eventually, everyone on Windows would benefit.  Hmm.  Maybe that
is sort of philanthropic but not in the way that you'd hoped.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple