Subject: Cygwin Telnet -- FreeBSD cursor problem
From: L Anderson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:18:14 -0800

I've been unsuccessful finding an answer to my problem in the Cygwin
list archives and documentation.  Unix-type stuff is not my first
language so I'd greatly appreciate any pointers on solving this problem.

I'm running Cygwin 1.1.8 on a Win98SE system and trying to telnet from
Cygwin to a shell account on my ISP's FreeBSD 3.2 system. When I use
Microsoft telnet to connect to FreeBSD it behaves pretty much as
expected--for Microsoft telnet.  When I use Cygwin telnet to connect to
FreeBSD, I get some unexpected behavior as described below.  I've tried
setting TERM to various types (vt100, linux, ...) but to no avail.

After logging on to FreeBSD, if I enter something and try to correct it
with [bksp] or [ctrl-h] the cursor does strange things as follows, where
! represents my cursor:

xxx12345678901(I added this to help visual alignment of what follows.)
~> xyw!         ; enter xyw
~> xy   !       ; enter [bksp] or [ctrl-h]
~> xy     !     ; enter [bksp] "
~> xy       !   ; enter [bksp] "
~> xy       !   ; enter [bksp] " from now on and get a bell

Needless to say, the cursor goes in the wrong direction then finally
stops for good.

I suspect this problem is due to a conflict between Cygwin-telnet and
FreeBSD brought about by improper settings in configuration file(s) on
FreeBSD, Cygwin, or both.  Any pointers(hint) on where I can look for an
answer to this would be greatly appreciated.

On the other hand, could it be a bug in Cygwin/telnet?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Lowell Anderson

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple