Subject: Re: mingw32 build?
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Andy Piper <[email-masked]>
Cc: "James N. Potts" <[email-masked]>, XEmacs NT List <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:34:27 -0500

[I hope I got the attribution right, here]
At 05:26 PM 3/14/01 -0600, James N. Potts wrote:
>I still ran into the cyggdbm problem, because configure finds the
>cygnus version of gdbm and assumes it should use it.  Building with
>"--with-database=no" fixed that.  Should this be the default for a
>mingw32 build?
>
>Dunno.  Really the cygnus folks should ship mingw equivalents of all of
>these and disambiguate them somehow from the cygnus ones.

Wow, I missed this somehow.  Usually my nose hair quivers uncontrollably when
I detect someone suggesting that I should do more work for them.

Maybe this has been said already but mingw != cygwin.  It's a separate
project.  We (i.e., I) do support limited mingw functionality in the
compiler.  That's all that we do.  It's only good for Windows-specific
compilations, AFAIK.

So, unless some intrepid individual wants to contribute files and the
method for installing files to the Cygwin project, I can guarantee you
that the people at Red Hat will not be shipping anything extra.  I will
not accept mingw library distributions in the Cygwin distribution without
some clear way of allowing people to avoid installing them.  I don't see
any reason to increase the size of the already large Cygwin distribution
with things that many people will presumably never end up using.
Accomodating this will undoubtedly require changes to the Cygwin setup
program.

Until then, if you want to build mingw applications, I suggest that you
check out the mingw project.  It is at http://www.mingw.org/ .

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple