Subject: Re: Stack Dump Problem
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: David Highley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:08:52 -0500

Chris,

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 10:57:30PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 10:28:59PM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
> >I found that replacing the cygwin1.dll with a post 1.1.8-2 version solved
> >my aspell stack dump problem (and others).  However, this is probably
> >not the best workaround since Chris has already indicated that the problem
> >appears to be with aspell itself.
> 
> Hmm.  Did I miss an explanation for this?

No.

> The stack dump shows multiple
> levels of calls of a user program so I ass*u*me*d that this was not a Cygwin
> problem.

I guess that the above implied that I thought that it was a Cygwin
problem.  I'm willing to accept your interpretation of the stack dump
that the problem is in aspell and not Cygwin.  I've seen problems due to
things like an uninitialized variable that "go away" when run under strace
or gdb.  May be this aspell problem is similar?

> Has this already been discussed?

No.

> Do we know why aspell works better with snapshots?

No.

> I have no problem with a workaround that involves moving forward
> and testing the snapshots.  Eventually one of those snapshots will be Cygwin
> 1.3.0.  It would be nice to see people trying them out.

I only stumbled across this because one of my machines still had
the original 1.1.8-2 DLL on it and not one that contained Corrina's
fork/mmap fix necessary for PostgreSQL.  When I first built aspell/pspell,
it was on a machine with a post 1.1.8-2 DLL so I didn't notice this
problem until a few days ago.  So when I saw David's post, I decided to
share my "workaround."

It stills sounds like the best solution is to contact the aspell
provider.  Although aspell is working with some post 1.1.8-2 DLLs, it
seems possible that it may stop working with some future Cygwin DLL.

Thanks,
Jason

-- 
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: [email-masked]
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA                 WWW:   http://www.dothill.com

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple