Subject: Re: Detecting the need for -mwin32 in newer cygwin gcc's
From: "Paul Garceau" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 14:37:32 -0800

Ok, so here are my own ideas...

On 7 Mar 2001, at 23:49, the Illustrious Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Mar  7, 2001, Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > Basically, I think we need something like a AC_PROG_GCC_USES_MWIN32.
> 
> I have mixed feelings about having this macro in autoconf.  On one
> hand, it would be kind of promoting the use of proprietary software. On
> the other, I see it would be a convenience for projects that really need
> it, even though it could probably live with CFLAGS='-mwin32 -g -O2'.

	My own feeling are that autoconfig should _not_ be made more complex 
than it already is (this coming from someone who hasn't been able to 
get a working autoconf ported, but has instead modified the switches on 
gcc/g++ to accomplish the same things that autoconf make convenient. 
[pun not intended]).

	It would be easy enough to use the -mwin32 switch, or set the specs so 
that it is assumed that the build is for a win32 machine unless 
otherwise noted (-mno_win32).  Or, depending on the priorities trying 
to be promoted and supported for Cygwin, the default can be -mno-win32, 
thereby forcing the developer to use -mwin32 if they want to build a 
win32 app.
	In the latter case, if -mno-cygwin is being used then the default is 
defined as -mwin32.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple