Subject: Re: Detecting the need for -mwin32 in newer cygwin gcc's
From: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:31:01 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <[email-masked]>

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 10:49:33PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> >cygwin, win32
> >cygwin, nowin32
> >no cygwin (aka mingw32), win32
> >no cygwin, nowin32
>
> -mno-cygwin and -mnowin32 is not an allowed combination.

Good - that makes my job, as a package maintainer simpler. I don't know
anyone whos tried to build squid on mingw32, but I don't want to make
their life harder by mistake!.

> Please, let's not complicate this.  The only thing required is a check
> for -mwin32.
>
> I'm not sure what all of the fuss is about.  autoconf is a method for
> determining system configurations and oddities.  If a package
maintainer
> wants to write a configure.in which automatically detects when it is
> running on Windows, using a cygwin version of gcc to build things, I
> don't see why he shouldn't have a macro to accomodate the oddities of
> cygwin gcc.

I agree. The point I'm making is that rather than declaring
"This program uses MWIN32 on cygwin" which is very platform specific

A macro that returns
"use this for your CC" to get system Win32 headers if they are available
and a converse one that returns
"use this for your CC" to avoid any system win32 headers if they are
included by default

would be more flexible. For one thing it would allow the gcc default to
change in the future and not confuse programs that are ported with the
appropriate macro already in place.

I think we're getting offtopic from an autoconf point of view now -
Alexandre was quite clear on the recommended option - make the macro,
put it in the archive (and announce it's presence). Once it's been used
a few times and is stable, they'll consider putting it in the main
distro.

Rob

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple