Subject: Re: Detecting the need for -mwin32 in newer cygwin gcc's
From: Alexandre Oliva <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles S. Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: 08 Mar 2001 07:48:57 -0300

On Mar  8, 2001, "Charles S. Wilson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So, by absorbing AC_PROG_GCC_USES_MWIN32, are you helping the GPL half,
> or the proprietary half?

> By refusing to absorb it, are you hurting the proprietary half, or the
> GPL half?

> Both, of course.

> Which is more important?

Autoconf is about portability across multiple platforms.  If you
depend on MS-Windows proprietary libraries, there's not much hope for
portability.  So, why use autoconf, in the first place?

If you don't depend on MS-Windows proprietary libraries, then there's
no reason for -mwin32.

Or am I missing something about the effects of this new -mwin32 flag?

-- 
Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Red Hat GCC Developer                  aoliva@{cygnus.com, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist    *Please* write to mailing lists, not to me

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple