Subject: Re: Windows 95 install insists on MS-DOS mode
From: "Paul Garceau" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:16:28 -0800

Hi folks,

On 7 Mar 2001, at 10:21, the Illustrious Earnie Boyd wrote:

> "Charles D. Russell" wrote:
> > 

[skip]

> > QUESTIONS:
> > 
> > Can someone tell me how to respond to a specific message from the
> > archive without formally subscribing and being bombarded with
> > messages?

	Well, you could subscribe for digest-only.  At least then you won't be 
"bombarded with messages".  If you do that, of course, you'll need to 
"grep" on your copy of the digests to find what you are looking for.  
Beyond that, I'm afraid you'll have to subscribe for regular delivery.

>  Is there any way to search the archive for an exact phrase? (see 
above)

> > Single or double quotes won't work.  Is there any place I should be
> > looking for answers to this sort of question?
> > 
> 
> Hmm...  Searching the archive is the best place but I don't remember
> seeing this before.

	Mostly because even in the earlier versions of the faq (Cygwin 17 or 
so), didn't talk about such things  -- I seem to remember an "install" 
readme that mentioned Win95 installation.

	At any rate, I had to change my .pif file to get Cygwin r17 to run 
under win95(w/o msvcrt - used crtdll).

	There are other considerations as well...for instance:

	The first release version of Win95(A?) doesn't support msvcrt.

	You have to modify your autoexec.bat (Win95A/B?) to manually set
	up, or at the least, verify your installation.  I don't believe Cygwin
	setup will do that for you (open to corrections on this).

>  W95 is all but dead so fewer and fewer on this list
> have it.  Since this is the first post of this kind then in hasn't been
> a Frequently Asked Question so you won't find it in the FAQ either which
> is the first place to start when you need a question answered that might
> be a common problem.

	Also, if you can find it...(MS may have finally dropped it from any of 
its websites -- wouldn't really surprise me), try and get the update to 
Win95B.  I believe that "B" includes msvcrt.  msvcrt is _much easier_ 
to deal with than crtdll is, especially if you are planning on regular 
updates to your Cygwin installation.

> 
> Earnie.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple