Subject: Re: New symlinks.
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 19:23:42 +0200

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:21:54 -0500, Daniel Barclay <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ...
> > The real problem of Windows .lnk files (within Windows use) is that
> > even though you can make link to a directory, you can not really use
> > it. Unlike UNIX, you can not use .lnk files as middle part of path,
> > it may only be used as the terminating part (basename) of a path.
> 
> Why not?  Or, probably, "where not"?
> 
> In the Window UI, you can have links (shortcuts) to directories.  
> Conceptually, these are in the middle part of a path (the virtual
> path you tranverse step by step in the UI).
> 
> Are links not usable in the middle of pathnames given to the command-line 
> interpreter?  Or are links not usuable in pathnames given to Windows OS
> calls for file operations.
 
I guess in both. I checked by giving a path to 1: the built in "run"
(BTW with its "browse" you can't even traverse the link). 2: as file
to open to `notepad' and other native M$ windows utilities.

BOTH FAILED !

Ehud.

-- 
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency
     @    @      @  @@  @   Tel: +972-3-6212-757    Fax: +972-3-6292-544
     @    @ @    @ @  @@    (USA)  Fax  and  voice  mail:  1-815-5509341
     @    @ @    @ @    @        Better     Safe     Than     Sorry
 http://www.simonwiesel.co.il    mailto:[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple