Subject: Re: New symlinks.
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 14:39:28 +0200

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:38:11 -0500, Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> For what gain?  So that users can create symlinks that could be used
> from Windows?  I am wondering if the gain is worth the price.

The gain is use of Cygwin links by Windows program (e.g. NTemacs) and
vice versa.

The real problem of Windows .lnk files (within Windows use) is that
even though you can make link to a directory, you can not really use
it. Unlike UNIX, you can not use .lnk files as middle part of path,
it may only be used as the terminating part (basename) of a path.

So maybe, after all, the use of .lnk files for sym-links is not such
a great advantage.

Ehud.

BTW. I read every mail on this list (that reached my mailbox) since
     2000-11-02.

-- 
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency
     @    @      @  @@  @   Tel: +972-3-6212-757    Fax: +972-3-6292-544
     @    @ @    @ @  @@    (USA)  Fax  and  voice  mail:  1-815-5509341
     @    @ @    @ @    @        Better     Safe     Than     Sorry
 http://www.simonwiesel.co.il    mailto:[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple