Subject: RE: How to compile a .LIB with cygwin for use in MS Visual C
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:44:30 -0500

At 02:49 AM 3/1/2001, [email-masked] wrote:
>On 02/28/2001 18:08:41 Dautrevaux wrote:
> >I'm not sure of the exact procedure to follow, but at least you must use
> >-mno-cygwin when compiling this kind of code (and you must check the the
> >mingw32 support is properly installed, depending on your cygwin version).
> >This was already discussed a number of times on this list so e search of the
> >archive should provide the necessary links.
>
>This I understand, and this is also what I want. I want the final Visual C application
>to be independent of the cygwin dll. I have searched through the archives, and 
>have not found the answer to my question.

The answer is just as the responder above noted.  Use the -mno-cygwin flag
and the result will be your program is not linked with cygwin1.dll.  That 
means you can't rely on any POSIX semantics that are in cygwin1.dll though.  
An alternative is to go to www.mingw.org and download that compiler toolset.
This is gcc for win32 only (again, no POSIX semantics beyond what MS gives
you).  As a result, you link to the MS C runtime.  Cygwin's gcc with 
-mno-cygwin is based on the Mingw version so usually people with the Cygwin 
compiler suite just use it with the -mno-cygwin flag rather than keeping 
both compiler suites.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple