Subject: Cygwin ftpd and NT shares
From: Colin Jones <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:02:08 +0000

Hi all,

I have Cygwin (v1.1.4) installed on an NT workstation,
with inetd running.

This machine is typically connected to a number of network drives
(shares).  What I would like is for these shares to be visible to users
that connect to the ftpd daemon running under Cygwin.

At the moment, if user X connects through ftp, the shares that are
normally available to X are not accessible - even when user X is
simultaneously logged on at the console (as an NT user) and the
appropriate shares are available.

A similar problem arises when you are connecting via telnet.  After
reading various posts relating to NT shares, I am aware that one way
around this is to issue a net use command for each and every session.
(This raises another problem in that, unless you issue a "net use X:
/delete"
command before logging out, it appears that the drive letter
cannot be reused on subsequent telnet connections)

In the case of ftp, however, there is no obvious way of issuing
the equivalent of a net use command on behalf of the remote user.

I'm hoping that I am missing something obvious here.  Maybe there are
some Cygwin/NT environment or registry tweaks that will allow what I
wan't.

Are there any experts out there that can shed some light as to whether
Cygwin supports this type of thing in principle, or whether I would
need to do some serious hacking to either ftpd, inetd, or the cygwin
"kernel" itself.

Any pointers at all would be greatly appreciated
Colin Jones ([email-masked])

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple