Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Important change to symbolic link functionali ty
From: "Paul Garceau" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:22:03 -0800

On 24 Feb 2001, at 18:30, the Illustrious Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 09:53:26PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >> I just thought of another problem though -- if I put together a
> >> distro tarball that contains symlinks, the dos paths will match MY
> >> system, and not the user's system.  Unless part of the postinstall
> >> script is to run fix-symlinks on the symlinks included in the
> >> installed package...
> >
> >No. Obviously not. Since Cygwin tar reads and saves the POSIX path in
> >the tarball, it is absolutely correctly recreated when unpacked on the
> >target system even when the links are absolute links, say
> >/usr/include/foo or alike.
> >
> >Consider - it's _not_ the *.lnk file which is saved in the tarball but
> >the attribute to be a symlink. You would be right in case of using
> >WinZip when creating an archive. But that's unfair because it's only a
> >native Windows tool...
> 
> I wonder how WinZip handles .lnk files anyway?  Does it just restore
> them "as is"?

	Depends on how you add the .lnk file to the archive.  This is what 
happened when I tested this.

Archiving:
	a) adding directly to a zip file using "Add to WinZip Archive", 
converts the .lnk file  to a .bat file (cygwin.lnk becomes cygwin.bat).
	b) Opening a WinZip archive, and then copying the .lnk file to the 
archive leaves the file as is (cygwin.lnk remains cygwin.lnk).

De-archiving:

	In a) above, when extracted using "extract" option, "cygwin.bat" stays 
"cygwin.bat".
	In b) above, when extracting using WinZip "extract" option, 
"cygwin.lnk" stays "cygwin.lnk" and may be launched normally.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple