Subject: Re: Symlinks, executability, system attribute, etc (was Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT])
From: "Mark Hadfield" <[email-masked]>
To: "Corinna Vinschen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:48:13 +1300

Hi Corinna (et al)

> There's already no need to look into the file when `ntsec' is used
> on NTFS drives. In that case you simply set the x bit.

Thanks. I have avoided ntsec for 2 reasons:

* One of my hard disks is FAT32 (delivered that way by Compaq) and I noted
the warnings in the user's guide about ntsec vs FAT32 volumes. I've been
thinking about converting the disk and maybe will do soon.

* The case where looking in to the file is a real killer for me involves
files on a Unix file system served by Samba. So ntsec will have no effect
here, right? As I understand it Samba is converting the original Unix file
security information to DOS-type for the client then Cygwin is going thru
all sorts of hoops to reconstruct it. (Perhaps Samba can be configured to
serve up NTFS-style info for NT clients--I'll look into it. Perhaps an NFS
client could do this--I'll look into that too!)

P.S. I've used Cygwin for approx 5 years (since b17.1???) and it's been
invaluable. It was flaky a few years ago, but these days its quality has
improved markedly, owing--I suspect--to the incremental release model plus a
lot of effort by the Cygnus/Red Hat team. For the last couple of years it's
"just worked" for me and I haven't had to look under the hood much. I hope
my newbie-ish questions and suggestions aren't too irritating.

P.P.S. Your boss is a bit grumpy, isn't he?

Cheers

---
Mark Hadfield
[email-masked]  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple