Subject: RE: GCC untrackable crashes
From: Kevin Camera <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Kevin Camera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:43:40 -0800

Thanks for the tip.  In fact, the debugger was in thread 1, and the only
other thread did not offer any other information.  So unfortunately the
problem was with the compiler or debugger, since all threads had no trace
information.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Faylor [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 6:23 PM
To: [email-masked]' '
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: GCC untrackable crashes

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 08:59:55PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 05:23:53PM -0800, Kevin Camera wrote:
>>Mumit and others,
>>
>>Well, it was true that my character arrays were short by one character
>>in the first case, and in the second case calling ofstream.clear()
>>before reusing the stream got rid of all the seg faults.  The program
>>is fine now.
>>
>>With hindsight, I was completely confused and thrown off by the strange
>>behavior I saw in GDB (meaning the lack of a stack trace or any other
>>information about the seg fault).  Luckily (for a hardware guy who
>>known little about real programming) I managed to hand-step through the
>>code and find the problematic lines...  Would any of the GCC developers
>>like my complete source example to add some functionality to the
>>compiler or debugger to better catch/aviod these errors?
>
>It didn't occur to me before, but you were probably in the wrong thread
>when you attempted to get a stack trace since the cygwin DLL is
>multithreaded by default.  Typing "thread 1" would probably have
>provided more instructive output.

...actually, I meant that typing "thread 1" prior to trying to get a
backtrace would have provided more instructive output.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple