Subject: Re: GCC untrackable crashes
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]' '" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:23:29 -0500

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 08:59:55PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 05:23:53PM -0800, Kevin Camera wrote:
>>Mumit and others,
>>
>>Well, it was true that my character arrays were short by one character
>>in the first case, and in the second case calling ofstream.clear()
>>before reusing the stream got rid of all the seg faults.  The program
>>is fine now.
>>
>>With hindsight, I was completely confused and thrown off by the strange
>>behavior I saw in GDB (meaning the lack of a stack trace or any other
>>information about the seg fault).  Luckily (for a hardware guy who
>>known little about real programming) I managed to hand-step through the
>>code and find the problematic lines...  Would any of the GCC developers
>>like my complete source example to add some functionality to the
>>compiler or debugger to better catch/aviod these errors?
>
>It didn't occur to me before, but you were probably in the wrong thread
>when you attempted to get a stack trace since the cygwin DLL is
>multithreaded by default.  Typing "thread 1" would probably have
>provided more instructive output.

...actually, I meant that typing "thread 1" prior to trying to get a
backtrace would have provided more instructive output.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple