Subject: Re: GCC untrackable crashes
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]' '" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:59:55 -0500

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 05:23:53PM -0800, Kevin Camera wrote:
>Mumit and others,
>
>Well, it was true that my character arrays were short by one character
>in the first case, and in the second case calling ofstream.clear()
>before reusing the stream got rid of all the seg faults.  The program
>is fine now.
>
>With hindsight, I was completely confused and thrown off by the strange
>behavior I saw in GDB (meaning the lack of a stack trace or any other
>information about the seg fault).  Luckily (for a hardware guy who
>known little about real programming) I managed to hand-step through the
>code and find the problematic lines...  Would any of the GCC developers
>like my complete source example to add some functionality to the
>compiler or debugger to better catch/aviod these errors?

It didn't occur to me before, but you were probably in the wrong thread
when you attempted to get a stack trace since the cygwin DLL is
multithreaded by default.  Typing "thread 1" would probably have
provided more instructive output.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple