Subject: Re: CygWin under WIN 98SE - login, passwd, group, services
From: "Ehud Karni" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:42:32 +0200

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:00:21 +0100, Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 11:38:39PM -0800, Gregg Smith wrote:
> > group -
> > Currently, group is a copy of passwd. #1, is it neccessary? #2, is there
>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^????
> > any purpose to worrying about it under Win98? #3, even if the first two
> > answers are 'NO', is there a way to get the groupid to display as a name
> > rather than '544' (the default used in the passwd file entries)?
> 
> mkgroup should result in a group file containing one line on 9x/ME:
> 
>       unknown::544:
> 
> so that `id' shows:
> 
>       uid=500(<yourname>) gid=544(unknown) groups=544(unknown)
> 
> but it doesn't matter.

The group file (/etc/group) does not require any program. You can use
any good text editor (I use Emacs) to create/edit it. The format is:
<group-name>::<group-number>:[allowed users] 
The allowed users list is meaningless on 9x/ME and I don't know how it
is treated on NT (Corinna ?). On UNIX it automaticly assign the user to
all the groups s/he is appearing in (used for the group permissions on
files) and allows the use of the newgrp command. Here is an example:

        sys::3:root,ehud,sweli

You don't have to use the 500 uid and 544 gid, you can choose any user
and group number (I use 100 for both, same as on my linux box) by
changing them in /etc/passwd.

> 
> > services -
> > Having seen no examples of the format of a services file, yet seeing
> > [...]
> 
> You don't have services in 9x/ME at all.

I think he meant services in /etc/services. On 9x/ME this file is named
services and is fount in the "windows" directory. Its format is like the
UNIX /etc/services:
<service-name>  <port>/{ tcp | udp }     [alias]  [# comment]      

inetd is not put into the services file because it is multiple services
server itself, but if you want sshd to run (directly or by inetd) you
should add the following line:
ssh    22/tcp              # SSH Remote Login Protocol
(for making it work thru inetd you'll have to add line to inetd.conf:
ssh        stream      tcp    nowait  root   /usr/sbin/sshd  -i     
<service> <sock_type> <proto> <flags> <user> <server_path>   <args> )

As for real services (those that are run when the system boots before
any user is logged in), there is a way to achieve it on 9x/ME (I posted
it on 2000-11-23), Add a key:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    "<service-name>"="<windows-path> <args>"
e.g. for sshd (at c:/cygwin/usr/sbin/sshd) with args "-b 1024" :
"CygwinSshd"="c:\\cygwin\\usr\\sbin\\sshd -b 1024"

Ehud.

-- 
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency
     @    @      @  @@  @   Tel: +972-3-6212-757    Fax: +972-3-6292-544
     @    @ @    @ @  @@    (USA)  Fax  and  voice  mail:  1-815-5509341
     @    @ @    @ @    @        Better     Safe     Than     Sorry
 http://www.simonwiesel.co.il    mailto:[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple