Subject: GCC untrackable crashes
From: Kevin Camera <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Kevin Camera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:00:59 -0800

I have spent days on this and gotten nowhere.  If anyone can help, I would
appreciate it greatly...

I am compiling a program which compiles and runs perfectly on all versions
of GCC on Solaris and Linux.  When I build the exact same code using the
latest Cygwin version (and as far back as B20), the executable crashes with
a seg fault.  GDB tells me this:

****************************************************
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x6107292d in _size_of_stack_reserve__ ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x6107292d in _size_of_stack_reserve__ ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x2000000
****************************************************

So there's not much for me to tell.  After a lot of single-stepping by hand,
I noticed that it was crashing while trying to "delete" an array.  I traced
all the addresses, and the memory was fine (it was created with "new" at a
valid address).  In vain, I just removed the call to delete, and then I got
the exact same crash (at a different instruction, of course), this time at a
call to ofstream.close().

In both cases, the fault occurred arbitrarily (there were many other
successful calls to delete and ofstream.close, and nothing different about
the fatal ones).  I really don't know what else to do.

Thanks,
Kevin Camera
[email-masked]

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple