Subject: Re: GNU File Utilities
From: Warren Young <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin-L <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:16:00 -0700

Christopher Jones wrote:
> 
> > No, not right.  You could possibly modify the Cygwin API to use 64 bit
> > file routines but you can't use routines from a different runtime.
> 
> Thanks, I was right.  "change cygwin" == "modify the Cygwin API"

Actually, you can't do that, either.  Under WinNT, a program can only be
using one "runtime" at once.  Since Cygwin uses a _bunch_ of stuff from
the Win32 runtime, it'd be easier to port the program to use the POSIX
API instead of porting Cygwin to the POSIX runtime.

Besides which, porting to the POSIX runtime would break Win9x
compatibility.  Not a massively horrible thing, I know, but it would
annoy a whole lotta people.
--                                                   _
= 'Net Address: http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent | / \  ASCII Ribbon
= ICBM Address: 36.82740N, 108.02040W, alt. 1714m | \ /  Campaign
=                                                 |  X   Against
= Chance favors the prepared mind.                | / \  HTML Mail

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple