Subject: Re: Cygwin compiled DLL under Visual C++
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:42:35 -0500

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 05:03:12PM +0100, Schaible, Joerg wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:53:36 +0100, Hans Holberg wrote:
>>Please give us an advise how we can generate a running DLL under Cygwin
>>(in C) in order to use it in a Visual C++ project.
>>
>>If you need more information I can send you the error messages and a
>>description of how we have generated the DLL.
>>
>>I really hope you can help us, because we have some hard deadlines.

>Hi Hans,
>
>well it seems that you've lost - sorry to say that. You try to link
>incompatible run-time libraries and I doubt that you will get any further.
>Please check the archives, this is a well-known fact and not Cygwin
>specific. You would have similar problems using e.g. the Borland run-time.
>OTOH, a lot of developers would like to see this kind of compatibility and
>since Cygwin is open source, you (or your company) may want to volunteer.

Right.  And, I have to point out that if you are linking with the Cygwin DLL,
*all* of your source has now become GPLed.  If you are providing a commercial
release of your product you had better make sure that you also make the
sources available or you will be in violation of Cygwin's licensing terms.

With regard to "hard deadlines" and Cygwin, I would also like to point out
that Red Hat (and probably others) sell consulting for this kind of thing.
If you are interested in getting professional results within a specific
timeframe then this is probably something to consider.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple