Subject: TAR Tape Support.
From: "J. Terry Corbet" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:06:17 -0800

I am using the most current release of all the Cygwin tools, but I am unable
to read a Unix tar tape on my Windows NT 4.0 [SP6] system's 4mm DAT, SCSI
tape drive.  [Reading and writing NT backups works fine, so it's neither a
hardware not an NT configruation problem.]

I have scanned the archives on this topic and it certainly appears to be
well known that there have been problems in this area.  The threads of mail
seem to suggest that there are [were] different versions of the mt, tar and
other tape-related utilities at some points in time.  I am hoping that the
most current code reflects the best-available tape support.  I can, in fact,
confirm device access using:

mt -f /dev/st0 status  2
tape capacity    :  1657260 KB          remaining        :  1646720 KB
current block    :        0             write protected  :       no
datcompression   :       on
min block size   :        1             max block size   :    65536
def block size   :      512             cur block size   :     5120
report setmarks  :      off

tar -tvf /dev/st0, however, yields:

tar: /dev/st0: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Looking at the archives, someone suggested running strace for a related
problem.  Perhaps this output will help someone diagnose the problem and
suggest what I do to fix it:

tar 248 mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: conv_to_win32_path (/dev/st0)
tar 248 normalize_posix_path: src /dev/st0
tar 248 normalize_posix_path: /dev/st0 = normalize_posix_path (/dev/st0)
tar 248 mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: \\.\tape0:(rel), \\.\tape0:(abs)
0x0(flags) = conv_to_win32_path (/dev/st0)
tar 248 path_conv::check: GetVolumeInformation(\\.\tape0:\) = ERR,
full_path(\\.\tape0:), set_has_acls(FALSE)
tar 248 fhandler_base::open: (\\.\tape0:, 0x10000)
tar 248 fhandler_base::open: -1 = CreateFileA (\\.\tape0:, 0xC0000000, 0x7,
0x6108517C, 0x3, 0x80, 0)
tar 248 seterrno_from_win_error:
/cygnus/netrel/src/cygwin-1.1.8-2/winsup/cygwin/fhandler.cc:378 errno 2
tar 248 geterrno_from_win_error: windows error 2 == errno 2

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple