Subject: Re: file descriptors opened as text files
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: Jean Delvare <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:49:21 -0500

At 09:36 AM 2/15/2001, Jean Delvare wrote:
>But file descriptors being concerned, cygwin's behavior is just weird (my
>opinion). The file desciptor is the lowest access level to the files. In
>the unix world (the real one) there is simply no text mode defined for
>file descriptors (which makes my program using O_BINARY unportable). It
>looks like a Cygnus' invention, and will probably cause lots of trouble to
>any developper porting applications using file descriptors - and there
>must be a lot. I don't even think this behavior is POSIX compliant (but I
>don't know how to check it).

Its not a Cygwin invention.  Its a MS one.  Check out the documentation
for open()/_open() on the MSDN.  They use the _O_BINARY flag.  Don't get me
wrong.  I hate text mode in all its forms.  Perhaps Cygwin could've forgone
its use here.  Maybe not.  However, doing so here follows the MS lead and
wasn't a Cygwin concoction.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple