Subject: Re: file descriptors opened as text files
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: Jean Delvare <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:59:27 -0500

At 05:43 PM 2/14/01, Jean Delvare wrote:

>> You proceed from a false supposition.
>Looks like. Be sure I'm doing my best to understand, anyway.
>
>> mount is a stand-alone utility.  It manipulates the way Cygwin sees the 
>> file system.  It has nothing to do with bash.  Since your program relies
>> on Cygwin and Cygwin interprets the file system through the existence or
>> absence of mount points, your program treats files as Cywgin would treat
>> the files, with or without bash.
>That's a point I don't understand. What sense can mount have without
>bash's unix-like environement ? Ok, it's not bash alone. It's everything
>around also. But I see a big difference between running from bash with
>everything around, which looks like unix, and running the compiled
>application from Windows' Dos Box. The only common thing I see is
>cygwin1.dll.

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You obviously don't look closely at what you type!;-)  This is the answer 
to all your questions/problems right here!  What do you think cygwin1.dll
is, padding to fill out your program so it looks like it takes up enough
space?  cygwin1.dll is the UNIX-emulation layer.  Everything else is just
an app.

>Regarding what you said before, I guess I'm wrong. Anyway, say I'll run
>mount from my friend's Dos Command Box, who has no cygnus system
>installes, what command am I supposed to type ? I don't see *where* I am
>supposed to mount the drives. Do you mean thet mount also can set the
>drives "mode" (text vs binary) without really mounting them ? 

Said it before but I'll say it again.  In the absence of mount points, 
Cywgin adopts defaults which it will use if it needs to.  That's text mode
in this case.

>> On Linux/UNIX, there's no difference between "binary" and "text" files, so
>> the added flag is inconsequential.  However, it is standard so whether the
>> docs mention it or not, its legal and will get you precisely what you want,
>> in a portable way.
>That may explain why I could not see the flag on linux's man pages. But
>there is no man page for open(2) on Cygwin, right ? Then, where am I
>supposed to find the value for this flag, if it ever exist ? I can't just
>invent it, I guess it won't work ;)

"b" is fine, as you indicated before.  Check the MSDN library at 
msdn.microsoft.com for one source.  I'm sure you can find this information
in any POSIX complaint UNIX API reference.

>> Happy to be of service.
>Maybe I could save your time. I feel a bit guilty... Is there a kind of
>reference manual for Cygwin that explain all this ? It doesn't sound that
>evident to me.

Try the user's guide.

http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple