Subject: Re: file descriptors opened as text files
From: Jean Delvare <[email-masked]>
To: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:43:29 +0100 (MET)

> You proceed from a false supposition.
Looks like. Be sure I'm doing my best to understand, anyway.

> mount is a stand-alone utility.  It manipulates the way Cygwin sees the 
> file system.  It has nothing to do with bash.  Since your program relies
> on Cygwin and Cygwin interprets the file system through the existence or
> absence of mount points, your program treats files as Cywgin would treat
> the files, with or without bash.
That's a point I don't understand. What sense can mount have without
bash's unix-like environement ? Ok, it's not bash alone. It's everything
around also. But I see a big difference between running from bash with
everything around, which looks like unix, and running the compiled
application from Windows' Dos Box. The only common thing I see is
cygwin1.dll.

Regarding what you said before, I guess I'm wrong. Anyway, say I'll run
mount from my friend's Dos Command Box, who has no cygnus system
installes, what command am I supposed to type ? I don't see *where* I am
supposed to mount the drives. Do you mean thet mount also can set the
drives "mode" (text vs binary) without really mounting them ? 

> On Linux/UNIX, there's no difference between "binary" and "text" files, so
> the added flag is inconsequential.  However, it is standard so whether the
> docs mention it or not, its legal and will get you precisely what you want,
> in a portable way.
That may explain why I could not see the flag on linux's man pages. But
there is no man page for open(2) on Cygwin, right ? Then, where am I
supposed to find the value for this flag, if it ever exist ? I can't just
invent it, I guess it won't work ;)

> Happy to be of service.
Maybe I could save your time. I feel a bit guilty... Is there a kind of
reference manual for Cygwin that explain all this ? It doesn't sound that
evident to me.

-- 
       /~~       Jean "Khali" Delvare
  -----\_                        mail: [email-masked]
 --------\                http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/
---=ISMRA/- ____________________________________________________

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple