Subject: Re: file descriptors opened as text files
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:21:29 -0500

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 11:08:52PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
>>Type "mount" on your system.  What does it show?  Is the file in
>>question being written under any of these mount points?  Any of them
>>binary?
>
>I think I understand the mount mechanism, and the binary vs text mode
>mount.  But I don't see the point when runing out of bash.  Do you
>pretend that the way I mount my drives with bash/mount changes the
>program behaviour when I run it directly from Windows ?  (I can hardly
>believe it)

I doubt that Larry is pretending.  Mount does, of course, control the
behavior of any cygwin-compiled program.

>>Bingo.  Cygwin treats files as text by default, unless you specify a
>>different default.  If you want your program to treat the file as
>>binary, add the appropriate flags on the appropriate calls.  Whamo!
>>Your problem is solved.
>
>I hope so.  That's also the way I see the thing.  The question is :
>What flags ?
>
>When using handles, I can solve the problem with fopen(f,"rb") instead
>of fopen(f,"r").  And it works.  But I read the whole read(2) man page
>(on Linux, it doesn't exist on Cygwin) and nowhere I saw a flag that
>force binary mode.  Can you help ?

Read the mount documentation.  It's on the cygwin web page.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple