Subject: Re: file descriptors opened as text files
From: Jean Delvare <[email-masked]>
To: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:08:52 +0100 (MET)

> Type "mount" on your system.  What does it show?  Is the file in question
> being written under any of these mount points?  Any of them binary?
I think I understand the mount mechanism, and the binary vs text mode
mount. But I don't see the point when runing out of bash. Do you pretend
that the way I mount my drives with bash/mount changes the program
behaviour when I run it directly from Windows ? (I can hardly believe it)

> Bingo.  Cygwin treats files as text by default, unless you specify a 
> different default.  If you want your program to treat the file as binary,
> add the appropriate flags on the appropriate calls.  Whamo!  Your problem
> is solved.
I hope so. That's also the way I see the thing. The question is : What
flags ?
When using handles, I can solve the problem with fopen(f,"rb") instead of
fopen(f,"r"). And it works. But I read the whole read(2) man page (on
Linux, it doesn't exist on Cygwin) and nowhere I saw a flag that force
binary mode. Can you help ?

Anyway, thanks *a lot* for the help so far.

-- 
       /~~       Jean "Khali" Delvare
  -----\_                        mail: [email-masked]
 --------\                http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/
---=ISMRA/- ____________________________________________________

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple