Subject: Re: file descriptors opened as text files
From: Jean Delvare <[email-masked]>
To: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:37:27 +0100 (MET)

> The output of cygcheck -s -r -v would undoubtedly point to the difference.
> My guess is that you are either opening the file in a mounted file system
> or the default mode for opening unmounted files is different on the two 
> systems.  This has nothing to do with Windows.

It must. Let me tell you more.
I'm writing my program using cygwin on my Windows 98. It works from
Cygwin's bash on my partition, all binary mounted. It works from Windows
itself, run from Dos Command Prompt using cygwin1.dll version 1.1.8.

I send the executable and the dll to a friend running Windows 98 SE. The
program fails. Analysing what's wrong. I could see the files were
considered as text files.

So, the comparison is between binary+dll on Windows 98 and binary+dll on
Windows 98 SE. Is there somewhere (registry?) where cygwin looks to know
if a given extension is text or binary ? I just can't figure out why I
obtain a different behavior depending on Windows' version.

By the way, why doesn't Cygwin consider files as binary by default ? It
would help a lot, isn't it ?

-- 
       /~~       Jean "Khali" Delvare
  -----\_                        mail: [email-masked]
 --------\                http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/
---=ISMRA/- ____________________________________________________

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple